- Regular maintenance is very important. Keep the wheelchair in good condition and you will prevent many accidents and malfunctions
- Always lock the brakes before getting in and out of the wheelchair.
- Lift the footplates up before getting in or out of the chair.
- If you have a wheelchair with removable arm or leg rests, make sure they are secure by lifting the arms and gently trying to swing the leg rest away from the chair. Do this before each use.
- Avoid putting heavy loads on the back of a wheelchair. This could cause the chair to tip over backwards.
- Don’t let children play with your wheelchair. They should be instructed to never touch your wheelchair.
- Just be careful and think of ways to prevent problems before they occur. Plan ahead for emergencies such as brake failure or tipping backward.